An international assignment is exciting. Here are our top seven tips for ensuring that your relocation overseas is a success...
1. Visit first
– if you can see your new location before you move, it will help you enormously. Make the most of internet research too. The more you learn about the culture and infrastructure before you move, the easier it is to be prepared.
2. Prepare your paperwork
– this should be part of your relocation package. Many countries require visas for working there even if they are not needed for holidaying to that location.
– from jabs to insurance, what is healthcare like in your new location? Will you need injections before you travel? You should receive sound advice from your relocation partner. Knowing where your local, English-speaking medical centre is located offers huge reassurance.
4. Travel with technology
– making sure that your tablet, laptop or smartphone has GSM and/or Wi-Fi access in your new location is essential. This means that you can access online information, make Skype calls and find your way around immediately.
5. Join the conversation
– most places have a strong expat community. Find local blogs and forums for useful tips and contacts in your new location. But – don’t let this stop you from mixing with the locals too. You’ll feel ‘at home’ much quicker.
6. Learn the lifestyle
– many new countries have different customs, dress codes, cultural attitudes compared with your native ones. Looking into how local society
works will save awkward moments once you’ve arrived.
7. Learn the language
– feedback from international assignees shows that this is the fastest way to feel a sense of belonging and community in your new location.
“An international assignment is an exciting challenge, “says Suzanne Sells, Business Development Executive at BTR International.
“You need to be fully prepared for your new lifestyle
as well as the physical move
involved. Professional relocation support
allows you to settle in and enjoy your new role and surroundings as quickly as possible.”
If you would like to discuss any of the above points, please contact Suzanne via
or call +44 (0)1582 495495.